Hello!

Welcome (back) to Mixed Media Artist!

Hi, I'm Cyndi, and I've been writing and updating  Mixed Media Artist since 2005.  If you're a new visitor, welcome! Come tr...


Don't miss our book giveaway, running until Sept 21! Visit the link above to enter.

Monday, March 03, 2014

Glacier Bay - part three


I mentioned last week that I will do my next quilt slightly differently from this one.  The issue came about because I decided to add my batting before slicing up my quilt top, and the result was that the weaving step, shown above, was more bulky than I would have liked.  Not a huge big deal, but I'll do it in a different order next time: weave first and then add the weaving to a solid piece of batting and backing fabric for quilting.




Using both a rotary cutter and scissors, I sliced up the quilt from top to bottom, leaving a 1/2 inch attachment at the edges.




The cuts are wavy, and to keep them from slipping around, I pinned the layers together (dryer sheets, muslin base, batting).




I cut strips of netting and wove them through the slits, alternating the ups and downs.  I left them loose on the ends and repinned as I worked.




When the netting was all in place, I re-pinned the piece to some thin, soft flannel as a backin fabric.  I placed a row of pins all around the outside of the top, 1/2 inch from the edge to mark the area for quilting.  The outer edge must be left unquilted in order to do the wrap and tuck binding that I plan. (http://www.mixed-media-artist.com/2013/10/alaska-quilt-part-five.html)




I added more embellishment before beginning to quilt, using fibers and a large crochet hook.  A tapestry needle would have worked too.  These fibers represented the striations in the layers of ice that form the glaciers.  I considered adding another layer of netting to the top before quilting in the next step, to make the colors a bit more blurry, but decided against it in this case.  Maybe the next quilt!




I used perle cotton and beads to quilt up each strip through all the layers, including the backing.  This was tough going a few times, necessitating a pair of pliers!  The ends of the thread were tied off but left showing on the front.




Here is the piece fully quiled, but still without a binding.  Next week, we finish up!

Part one
Part two
Part three

Copyright 2014 Cyndi Lavin. All rights reserved. Not to be reprinted, resold, or redistributed for profit. May be printed out for personal use or distributed electronically provided that entire file, including this notice, remains intact.

Technorati Tags:,,,,,,


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing. The techniques used in part three were not at all what I expected.
Ruth

Cyndi L said...

Thank you, Ruth! You wouldn't have to do the weaving part, of course, if you just wanted to use the dryer sheets and quilt the piece :-)

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

I never would have imagined this. You are so creative and innovative, Cyndi. It's beautiful!

I always enjoy visiting your blog. I've learned new techniques like for image transfers and new supply ideas (e.g. sliding door finger do-dads as cheap bezels for filling with resin).

Cyndi L said...

Eileen, you are waaaay too kind!

Anonymous said...

But the weaving is what initially caught my eye. That part is what I really want to try but I would probably quilt in a different way - at least this is what I am presently thinking.
Ruth

Cyndi L said...

I would really love to see what you make, Ruth!

Related Posts with Thumbnails