Time to add a pop of color! I decided on using the complementary colors to all this blue green, and settled on a nice strong orangey red. I used some lovely shades of Golden's tube acrylics, diluted well, to make some snow painted fabric (I'll share a tutorial for snow painting later). I choose a strongly colored piece of the resulting cloth and cut out a circle for the sun.
The reason for using such a diluted method of painting the fabric is that I wanted the hazy look that you get over the mountains. The sun is rarely more than a glowing smudge in the sky when the clouds and snow spray are obscuring it.
The sun was stitched on with the same "reverse" blanket stitch that I used for the trees. I mixed a strand of red with a strand of orange embroidery floss to get the exact color I wanted. Using plain red for a little extra pop, I stitched a couple of stylized cardinals onto two trees.
Time to start adding beads!
Creating the background fabric: Part one, Part two
Creating the quilt: Part three, Part four, Part five, Part six
Copyright 2010 Cyndi Lavin. Not to be reprinted, resold, or redistributed for profit. May be printed out for personal use or distributed electronically provided that entire file, including this notice, remains intact.
Technorati Tags:mixed media,collage,assemblage,digital art,photography,altered books,art journals
I'm really enjoying seeing how this shibori quilt progresses.
The beads are all sewn on the quilt now and the edging is done, so I'll post it soon :-)