|Still in progress|
I can't even tell you how many times I thought about quitting while making this quilt! First, there was the great tiger fiasco, and then there were the difficulties in painting some background fabrics to satisfaction. I thought it was going to be a cakewalk once I got the printout problem solved!
I painted and repainted and overpainted and layered until I thought I was going to scream, and I finally ended up with one piece of fabric that I thought would make a good background for the lava printouts. I liked this because lava turns a rusty red as it oxidizes. All the rest of the fabrics are on a pile waiting for another project...
Only three of the printouts would fit, not all four, so I finally decided that three was a good number ;-) Rather than going back to the drawing board.
I still wanted to try to salvage my idea to use the Kimura fabrics in the quilt, but it just wasn't doing it for me. So I decided to go ahead and finish up the upper two layers without worrying what it would be mounted on, at least for now.
Mindful of the fact that I'd already screwed up an entire set of printouts by painting them, I decided to...wait for it...paint them! But this time, I used the complementary accent color that you see on the painted fabric layer. And I used a small brush, a very dilute mix, a highly grayed version of the color, and I only added the color to the lines, creating a sort of shadowed look.
Copyright 2012 Cyndi Lavin. All rights reserved. Not to be reprinted, resold, or redistributed for profit. May be printed out for personal use or distributed electronically provided that entire file, including this notice, remains intact.
Technorati Tags:mixed media,collage,assemblage,digital art,photography,altered books,art journals