It almost never happens that I know exactly what I'm going to make before I start making it! But this time, it's different. When I finished beading the sunprinted fabric piece last week, I knew that my next project was going to be to paint some more fabrics and use them in a quilt. And that it was going to be silk. And that it was going to be 100% hand stitched.
So the first step was obviously to tear up some silk fabrics that I had and paint them. I mostly used the method that I refer to as painting fabrics in a plastic bag. But I also used kosher salt on some fabrics that were laid out in the sun, and I did some sunprinting with ferns on one of the green pieces. There are a lot of other fabric painting tutorials available at the link. Take your pick, mix and match!
Here's a look at my drying rack full of fabric "samples". The large piece of fabric underneath the upper layer is just a ratty old towel to help catch the drips. And you'll notice that my lovely wood floors are also protected by a drop cloth...I'm a total slob when I'm working ;-)
I hope to have the quilt layout ready to show you by next week.
Copyright 2011 Cyndi Lavin. Not to be reprinted, resold, or redistributed for profit. May be printed out for personal use or distributed electronically provided that entire file, including this notice, remains intact.
Technorati Tags:mixed media,collage,assemblage,digital art,photography,altered books,art journals