Cyndi Lavin, 2017
Here is another example of a piece that almost got abandoned, ripped in two, or just plain thrown out. I started with colors and techniques that had served me well in the past, but just didn't seem to work this time.
1. I failed to write down the colors that I used for the background, but I think they were probably Cobalt teal, Ochre and Hansa yellow medium, and Red oxide. I used black India ink to create some directional lines, and then rolled a mixture of White gesso and Titan buff over a paper mask. I was a bit underwhelmed.
2. Since I hated the way it looked, I decided to try using more black ink to tie the piece together. Not so much...
3. I used Ochre mixed with glazing medium to unify the colors a bit. Now we're getting somewhere.
Over that, I added more black ink lines. There's a certain freedom you feel when you believe that a piece is ruined anyway!
4. I re-masked the central shape and rolled it with a light layer of white gesso. Then I used tape to create the second boundary and rolled it with black gesso. The colors didn't turn out true in this photo, so I scanned the piece, and (at least on my computer monitor), the scan below it true to life :-)
This post contains affiliate links.
Copyright 2017 Cyndi Lavin. All rights reserved. Not to be reprinted, resold, or redistributed for profit. The tutorial may be printed out for personal use or distributed electronically provided that entire file, including this notice, remains intact.