Monday, December 10, 2012

Lava quilt blocks from Spoonflower - part three


I have had soooo many fits and starts with this new quilt.  I was hoping to finish it up before the end of the year, but I'm afraid that is just not to be.  Or at least, getting it written up is not to be...we'll see about the stitching part :-)

Anyway, I had no completely clear idea of what to do with the blocks once I painted them, so I just forged ahead.  Which turned out to be a bad idea!



Bad idea #1 - Keep the blocks attached and add embroidery on the lines.  Oh yuck, I really didn't like the way this looked at all, but I almost stuck with it because I HATED to have to pull all that stitching out.  But I did...



Bad idea #2 - Cut the blocks apart and begin to add beads.  After beading three blocks, I decided that I just hate the way they look.  However, I can always cut the beading off later, so I decided to leave them as is for now and make that decision later.  Maybe I'll decide that the rest of the blocks need beads, and I won't have to rip out the beading that I've done.


OK idea #3 - Decide how the blocks will be arranged.  I have this beautiful raspberry fabric that I've decided to use for the background, so the next step is to figure out how the blocks will be arranged.  Fortunately, when I cut them out, I numbered them on the back so that it wouldn't end up being one big messy puzzle.  Here are the arrangements I tried, and the one above is the winner.





Time to start stitching!

Part one
Part two
Part three
Part four
 
Copyright 2012 Cyndi Lavin. All rights reserved. Not to be reprinted, resold, or redistributed for profit. May be printed out for personal use or distributed electronically provided that entire file, including this notice, remains intact.

Technorati Tags:,,,,,,

4 comments:

SpinningDownUnder said...

#3 is my favourite too, abstract enough while still giving the idea of a continuous lava flow with its hot spots. You can embellish it and it will also hold up by itself as a design; more decisions, lol! Its coming on really well and I love that bright background colour!

Cyndi L said...

Thank you so much for your input! I am very pleased with how it's all coming together at this point :-)

Eileen Bergen said...

OMGosh, Cyndi, your boos-boos give me renewed hope as an artist.

The red embroidery looks like surgery stitches. lol. Glad you pulled them out despite all the hard work that went into them.

So far it's unanimous.I really like the arrangement you've decided on.

Cyndi L said...

Yeah. Surgery stitches...that's exactly the look I was going for ;-) Yup, that's why they had to go. There was a LOT more stitching done than the little shot I showed you, but it's all gone now!

Related Posts with Thumbnails