1. Open your image file, size it, and save it under a new name. Make copy of background layer.
2. Up the contrast and desaturate slightly if needed. You want a high-contrast, dull colored image to work with.
3. Using an adjustment layer, add the gradient fill of your choice in an orientation that suits the light of your image. Choose the color blending mode and adjust the opacity to suit.
4. Merge all visible layers into a new layer, and use this layer to add any filter effects you desire, such as brush strokes or palette knife.
5. Create an embossed layer and add it in overlay mode, adjusting the opacity. I wrote a short tutorial on adding an embossed layer here.
Copyright 2007 Cyndi Lavin. Not to be reprinted, resold, or redistributed for profit. May be printed out for personal use or distributed electronically provided that entire file, including this notice, remains intact.
Technorati Tags:mixed media,collage,assemblage,digital art,photography,altered books,art journals